Indiana Covered Bridges album

New York City Album Slideshow

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Quotes from "Trick of the Eye"

"I've only regretted the paintings I did not buy, the trips I did no take, the people I did not love. That is to say, I've only ever regretted the things I didn't do--never the ones I did. (...) One's only regret in life is the failure to act." (page 17)

"I think happiness becomes more of a decision as one gets older. I think at some point you just decide you're going to be happy with what you've got." (page 29)

"Because he'd left us, I defined a man's love by its absence rather than its presence, by the pain it inflicted, rather than the joy it is supposed to bring." (page 44)

"I've come to realize one spends most of one's life eating, sleeping, and missing the point!" (page 95)

"But people who can't feel are dangerous, Harry. Don't you know that? And the really dangerous ones are the ones who try to imitate the people who can feel. They're like poisonous species of mistletoe." (page 157)

"There are some ghosts that will not leave you alone. As you get older, instead of gradually fading, they become more clear." (page 217)

"Life goes on. You would be surprised what people can learn to live with." (page 221)

"No one changes. Circumstances change, and then people appear to have changed." (page 228)

"Part of me wanted to see Harry properly laid to rest. And another part of me wanted to attend simply out of curiosity. But I decided I was better off not going. I very much wanted to remember Harry the way I'd always known him, the way he's presented himself, the way he wanted to be remembered. I had the sense that were I to go out and unearth the roots he's spent a lifetime burying, I would somehow be disloyal to his memory." (page 238)

"On the way home in the taxi, I thought about about Harry and about death. Harry was still there for me in my imagination, more vivid than ever in some ways, now that I knew I was never going to see him again. Yet, at the same time, he was gone forever. It was as if some part of my life had come to a halt when I wasn't looking. I'd moved on, suspecting nothing, expecting to turn around and see my friend at my side the next moment. And then he wasn't there. He had stopped, and I had gone on. Was death that simple?" (pages 238-239)

"Life comes through expression, not through representation." (page 265)

0 comments: