Indiana Covered Bridges album

New York City Album Slideshow

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Thoughts, gratitude and reflections......

Time to take a breath and reflect.....


I remember 9 years ago, getting ready to go to work (my second day on a job I've held since then), watching TV before leaving the house, not knowing that the next time I'd watch TV I would be looking at horrific pictures and would never see the world the same way again. The day was just like any other day, and preschool class started as usual, without us knowing that somewhere further east, life had changed for thousands of people. I remember hearing about a "catastrophe," "attacks" and words like that... I didn't get to watch TV until mid afternoon, and I don't believe I will ever, ever forget what I saw. Sadly, I do not need to explain what I saw on the TV screen... We've all seen it. There has been no way around it over the past 9 years. I can't even describe how I felt. I know one thing though: it was something that I will NEVER FORGET.


At that moment I realized what it meant to be an American, the fear that I felt for this country and the unified cry to want to help. There were frantic messages from my family and friends overseas on my answering machine, but I couldn't even call them back, the phone lines were so jam-packed. I sat down glued to the newscast, trying to make sense of what was going on and conjure up the extent of what was happening and what it would mean in the future. I knew then that our country would never be the same again. I was scared by the magnitude of our vulnerability. Heck, I was shocked that something like this was even possible. I remember that I felt a ripple of horror mixed with a sense of pride for the passengers who sacrificed their lives to stop the terrorists on the fourth plane.


I have always tried to make every day count. That day just enhanced that. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that every day is a gift and I attempt to live as though it may be my last. I feel a responsibility to try to help and do things that would benefit more than just myself. THAT DAY HAS CHANGED OUR LIVES, I WILL REMEMBER & I WILL NEVER FORGET.


Today I ask you to take a moment of quiet time, to reflect on the men and women who died 9 years ago. Take a moment to remember the victims of the terrorist attacks and those who died in the rescue attempts(Police, Fire, Paramedics... To name a few). And then take a minute to remember the troops, remember that they are fighting to prevent that day from ever happening again, to keep our children from having to remember what we will never forget.


Please join me today - Take a deep breath & Remember - Remember where you were, who you were with and how it made you feel. I pray that I will NEVER FORGET how I felt that morning on 9/11/2001. Because those visions of horror and chaos have kept us grounded and our toes, and I deeply hope and pray that our children will never, ever have to see such visions "live."


0 comments: