Indiana Covered Bridges album

New York City Album Slideshow

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

I guess that's what they call "Allegiance"

Oath of Allegiance (taken by Naturalized citizens, hence by me almost 2 years ago now) (Please read on, as this post is NOT about the Oath of Allegiance...)

"I hereby declare, on oath,
that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;
that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;
that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law;
that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law;
that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and
that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God.
. . .that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by law. . ." (end of Oath of Allegiance)


And then reading this makes a painful reality hit home; it really makes you think twice about who's pledging allegiance to whom here. Knowing that it really happened so close to home makes me say once more that some real truths do hurt more than, let's say, the plain and simple truth.

R.I.P Lcpl Joshua Birchfield. Your hometown and neighboring towns mourn you even more now, as if that were even possible.

1 comments:

Char said...

I didn't mean to make you cry! And I would have had a really hard time taking that Oath as someone born an American. I love my country, I've never been one to look upon it overly optimistically, but I've also been unflinchingly supportive of it over the years through all of this craziness and I don't know. This is just too much... I honestly don't know what to think anymore.

BTW I miss you!