Indiana Covered Bridges album

New York City Album Slideshow

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Once upon a time, there was an ice cream cake...

Let me tell you what happened last night. Paul and I were invited to Melanis and Jeff’s house for dinner. I had promised Mel to bring an ice cream cake. Living in Union Mills, we are lucky enough to have a Dairy Queen store close by in Westville, so we decided to leave our house earlier and stop by DQ in Westville before heading back to LaPorte. Little did we know what kind of drama we were going to deal with to be able to get an ice cream cake.
At the Westville store all they had on display were “Happy Birthday” ice cream cakes. So, waiting for 10 minutes and seeing an old couple ungraciously cut in front of us and the gentleman who was in front if us, we finally ask the lady at the counter if they have “blank” cakes. The answer being no, they ask us if we want to wait for 10 minutes and they will “make” a blank one. That right there was a red light flashing in my head. What kind of ice cream place does not have a blank cake? So we said, no thank you, and decided to stop at the DQ in LaPorte. Oh my, mistake #2. Once we get there, we ask for a plain ice cream cake. The gentleman at the window says, "No problem, it will be right up." We wait for 10 mns (so much for the “right up” part) and asks us again if we want a plain cake. Oh my... Yes, we say. So he goes in the back, comes back a few minutes later and asks us if we would take a Happy Birthday Cake instead. WHAT??? I tell the gentleman, "No, we’ve just been through that same crap at the store in Westville, we want a plain cake..." So he goes back in the back of the store, where he probably intended to “make” a plain one I’m sure... After about 10 seconds of thinking about it, we finally decide we’ll take the damn Birthday cake. At this point, Paul and I are getting a little aggravated (and by “little” I do mean “a lot”) and we just want to get the hell out of there with an ice cream cake. So he comes up to the window with the ugliest cake I’ve ever seen... That cake is the perfect embodiment of cake decorating class going wrong. It’s green and blue, missing some parts the frosting in some areas. And it gets worse: you know what it says on it.... “HAPPY BIRTHDA!!!!” Someone tried to scrape off the writing, realized it didn’t look that good, and the Y is gone... Holly Crap! So we diligently pay for our cake (full price, mind you...). And as if that whole adventure wasn’t bad enough, as we’re leaving DQ, ice cream “cake” in hand, the customer lady behind us exclaims “That’s the ugliest birthday cake I’ve ever seen.” That’s when I knew that this was a story to tell... I laughed so hard on the way to Melanis’s house that I was crying big hot tears when we got there.
But I tell you one thing though: the cake was still good... And it was a very interesting table conversation topic. Yes, we do have cool friends who can take a joke as well as we do and eat the ugliest birthday cake ever!

But DQ is going to hear about it! I mean, who in their right mind would serve such a thing? Yes, I know, I’m the idiot who bought it. But my mission consisted of bringing an ice cream cake and the mission was accomplished.

I have learned a lesson though: next time, I will call DQ in advance and order a “plain” cake... What the hell, right?

And I know what you’re thinking, it can’t be that bad... Now scroll down and tell me... What do you think?





















ARE YOU LAUGHING YET?????

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my that is priceless. I would definetly write or email DQ directly, the store managers are more than willing to make up for it when corporate pushes it.
We don't use the dq on Lincolnway much, but have had numerous issues with the DQ on Pine Lake. It looks like the person ran out of room to add the Y. I can understand your frustration, but glad you were able to laugh about it. Make sure you send DQ the pics!

Melanis said...

Was a good cake anyway!